Sunday, December 11, 2011

Ways to Communicate

Sometimes I feel put upon that my communication with my mother is a one-way street. The last time she picked up the phone to call my number was about a year-and-a-half ago. So that proves she does know my number, right?

But I must look at myself. I almost never call my children. Tyler and I email and text frequently through each day, as I work for him. Jaci and I see each other's posts on Facebook. We text when we need something from each other. Just call to chat? No, our lives are too busy for that, and she has friends for that function.

Scott and I are more remote. Our primary method of communication is to follow each other's posts on Facebook and to comment on those posts when we are so moved. We see each other's tweets, and—on the rare occasion we seek input from each other—we text.

Is this merely a fact of this decade? Are we not unusual, but rather the norm?

I think the fact that my mother never calls me is a self-centered trait. But am I also self-centered because I don't communicate more regularly with my children?

I hope not. More than that, I hope they don't think so!

4 comments:

Jill said...

Facebook and texts work for quick updates but nothing is better than my phone conversations with Veronica at least once a week. We so look forward to the day when we are in the same city and can have "Sunday suppers" - her idea. I have been told by other friends that it is much different when you have sons.

Mary Lindley said...

Yeah - I thought about this post today and came up with the exact same conclusion as Jill. I have a phone conversation with each of my girls once a week for sure (Sunday night Molly and Monday night Megan) and sometimes in between. We text also but those phone conversations are precious time. I decided its probably different with boys - though I'm glad I see my son as much as I do.

Jan Crews said...

When I was in Tucson, I would have dinner at Tyler and Jaci's every Sunday night - usually take-out Chinese. It was our chance to check our schedules for the coming week. When we all moved up here, I lives with them for a year, so the need went away, and we fell out of that habit. I haven't had them to my house for dinner ONCE since I moved into this house. That's not right - must fix that!!

When Ty was at Interlochen, we spoke for a few minutes once a week. I always asked, "Is there anything I need to know?" it was the perfect phrase to let him tell me about grades and money and clothes without my seeming to pry. Those were good conversations.

Jan Crews said...

Lived! Not lives. That's what I get for commenting in the dark from my bed!!