Thursday, October 07, 2010

Pulling My Heartstrings

After writing yesterday about all the shows PianoLady and I had seen, I've been thinking about the songs that just wring my heart out when I hear them.

I was listening to the "On Broadway" channel on Sirius/XM when "Wheels of a Dream" from "Ragtime" came on. That music grabs me every time I hear it.

From "Light in the Piazza", I feel melancholy when I hear "Dividing Day" and melt at "Say It Somehow".

"For Good" from "Wicked" makes me think of every life-changing friend I've known, while "What Is This Feeling?" and "Popular" make me laugh out loud.

There are similar songs for me from "Les Miz" and "Phantom" and "Oliver" and "Funny Girl" and … and …. Yes, I have had a lifelong love affair with Broadway musicals.

But there are movements from classical works that affect me similarly. Saint-Saëns Organ Symphony and the Enigma Variations and the Brahms Requiem and the Fauré Requiem and ….

You get the idea. I've been a musician all my life. Before and after everything else, I am a musician. And music moves me.

Does music move you? Or what substitutes for music in your life?

No comments: