Wednesday, February 03, 2010

The Perspective of the Young

The Jazzman and I had dinner with my granddarlings on Saturday night. Ridley, a hypercreative child who is always drawing or dancing or making music (okay, just 'always moving') was excited to have a new man to flirt with and wrap around her finger. You could just see it in her eyes.

Trying to give her a point of reference to help her identify with him, I mentioned a cousin of the Jazzman's whom Ridley knew from her "Music Man" performance last summer, and from her holiday "Nutcracker" performances. I asked, "Do you remember NH?", naming the charming college-age ballerina. Ridley quickly responded, "Oh, yes. She's a fashion designer." Not "we've danced together" or "she's learning to be a fashion designer" or "she wants to be a fashion designer when she grows up." Just "She's a fashion designer."

First, I can guarantee you that, at age six-and-a-half, I had never even heard the term "fashion designer." (And my mother frequently made my dresses, so I knew sewing machines and started sewing at 13.) Although my daddy had his M.D., I'm not even sure that I had heard of college at that age.

Second, Ridley's ears must be constantly open to what goes on around her. She doesn't exactly hang out with this young woman. Ridley's six. NH is in college. To what conversation was she a witness that made such an impact on her that she would immediately respond to my question with, "Oh yes. She's a fashion designer."

Finally, how wonderful of the very young to have such confidence in those who are older. Not "she wants to be" or "she's studying" or "maybe someday . . .". Just "she is . . .".

May we all live up to the confidence of the young!

No comments: