Sunday, December 06, 2009

Into the Car, Onto the Stage

It's hell week again, so I might not post over the next week.

Today we perform for alumni and friends of Cleveland's St. Ignatius High School. This is their 25th Annual Christmas Concert, where they rent Severance Hall and the orchestra and chorus, observe our rehearsal, enjoy an elegant dinner with tables throughout Severance, and then end the day with a concert. There will be so many people on stage for the rehearsal that we have to move onto the stage in shifts. I'm second shift. Much attention must be paid!

And I'm going into the busy day in a frazzled state of mind. I learned from the dermatologist yesterday that I have ringworm—there's one lovely round red itchy patch on my right forearm. Evidently Angel brought it with him from the shelter. He then gave it to Rudi. One of them generously gave it to me. I'm not happy. I have now spent over $500 on this little kitten I got from the shelter. I guess that'll teach me to do a good deed!

In reality, it's taught me to trust my instinct with shelters. When I walked into this shelter on Mahoning Avenue, the smell of feline urine was overwhelming. I started to turn and walk out, but the lure of the kittens was too great. There were other shelters I visited, but I brought the g'babes back here and let them fall in love with a kitten at this particular not-so-clean shelter. As a result I have a kitten whose diarrhea has continued for six weeks and who has brought the ringworm fungus into my home.

I haves washed all the linens in my bedroom. I've quarantined the cats to the dining room, kitchen and basement. My friend is coming over today while I'm in Cleveland to vacuum every piece of upholstery the cats might have lounged upon. And I'm keeping the g'babes away from these cats.

There are a few giggles to the story. I went to the compounding pharmacy, who didn't have the medication for the cats in stock. The pharmacist there told me it was a common medication, and that Walgreen's or Giant Eagle would have it. I went to the Walgreen's on Market and 224, where a delightful young pharmacy tech named Brandon helped me out. It turns out the medicine was about $120, but if I paid $20 to get a "W card" for one of the cats, I'd save $60 on that prescription. Net savings of $40.

The cats have to take the medicine until the fungus is gone, which will probably be four weeks. FOUR WEEKS! And, once mixed, the medicine is only good for two weeks. Yep. In two weeks I get to go back, get a "W card" for the other cat, and pay $80 again.

I am disgusted with this turn of events. I am disgusted with this shelter, putting infected cats out into the community. I am made myself for not following my instinct. This is a darling little cat, but money is money! I was going to put up a tree yesterday, but after hemorrhaging money at the dermatologist, the vet clinic, and Walgreen's (my medicine, with insurance, was $40), I'll defer the tree to next year.

I was supposed to have a sleepover with the babes last night, but babysat them at their house instead, then fell asleep on their couch until the parents came home. I got home at midnight and now must get up and clean.clean.clean until leaving for Cleveland.

So what comprises the rest of Hell Week? Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday night Messiah rehearsals, Thursday night Messiah performance, Friday night Holiday performance (skipping the lavish office party at Cleveland's House of Blues), Saturday matinee Holiday concert, Saturday night Messiah, and Sunday matinee Holiday concert. Next week I'll have the first Monday night off in about three months, so I'll go to my knitting group. The weekend of the 19th is five more concerts, and then it's Christmas, and then I'll take the babes and go to the mountains to spend a few days with my mother, brothers, and sister-in-law.

Can you say, "Whew!"?

[I had a hard time deciding on an image for today's post. A picture of a ringworm patch? Yuck. A picture of the kitten who caused all this chaos? Not in love with the kitten right now. A picture of a person singing, or driving, or sleeping—all of which I'll either be doing a lot of or wishing for this week? Nothing cute enough. So you get an image of the place I'll be spending so much time: Cleveland's spectacular Severance Hall. Yes, I am a lucky singer.]

No comments: