Thursday, April 12, 2007

Birds

No, I am not talking about the birdies that sing in the trees, but I do love looking out my window every morning when I awake to see the Harris hawk sitting on top of the utility pole at the back corner of my property.

I was driving home yesterday. Let me interject here that I'm a good driver. I'm listening to Carmina burana as I'm driving, so my mind is on those tricky rhythms and mouth-twisting words. I came to a stoplight and left a small gap between my car and the car ahead. A [male] driver behind me wanted to get into the turn lane. (Never mind that the light was red and he could do nothing but race to the intersection and then jam on his brakes.) I did not notice him behind me, but in a moment snuggled up a little closer to the car ahead. That allowed this [male] driver to pull up on my right, angrily and with much irate body language shake his middle finger at me, and then race to the aforementioned intersection.

Did he feel better after doing that? I can't imagine that he felt anything but more anger. Did I feel good? No, it was very upsetting to me. I'm a nice person. I try to live my life in a manner that will make other people's lives easier. It hurts me when someone perceives that I'm behaving in an insensitive manner.

Am I reading too much into this? Was the guy just a Big Jerk? Probably and probably. Frank has stated on several occasions, "you smart girls always overthink everything."

And while we're on the topic of Frank: one time, before he got the sports car, we were riding in the open Jeep and another driver piffed him off. He yelled and flipped a bird. For a moment I was afraid he was going to stop the car and "take it outside." His actions were unnecessary. They accomplished nothing. What is the point?!

New resolution: I don't want in my life a man who feels he can right the wrongs of the world by flipping people off.

Why, oh why, do these lessons take so many years to learn?!

No comments: