Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Is There a Reason You're Out of Work?

The daily news outlets are filled with stories of job losses and able workers who can't find work. My colleague and I have been interviewing to fill a contract opening in our company. There may be thousands of able workers in NE Ohio, but they didn't seem to be applying for our position. Work is work, right? Isn't a paycheck a paycheck and desireable over the lack of a paycheck?

After another in-person interview today, I was suddenly struck with a thought: Maybe the ablest of workers have been retained in their jobs, and the job-seekers are not the ablest. Let me give you a few ideas I have for pointers to the job-seekers:

  • When you are asked a question, make your answer succinct. If ten words are sufficient for the answer, don't use a hundred words. If you don't know the answer or don't have a good answer, wrapping it in more words will not make it a better answer, It will only convince me that you don't know what you're talking about.

  • Most office environments nowadays have a casual dress code. Don't wear a three-piece suit. But do wear something that looks current. You may love vintage clothing, but a simple pair of slacks and shirt, or skirt and sweater, are better than the elegant suit from the 70s.

  • Your appearance speaks before your mouth opens. Ladies, touch up those roots. If you're that sloppy with your appearance, I'm going to worry that you'll also be sloppy with your work product. I appreciate that you've been out of work, but a $10 haircut at Swift Scissors or a $5 bottle of semi-permanent hair dye from the Corner Drugstore can go a long way to improving your appearance and making you appear that you would fit into the workplace. And think about White Strips.

  • Speak in a manner that holds my attention. Tape yourself speaking and see how much of a monotone you use. See how quickly you speak. Can I understand you when you're answering my questions? Is your monotone manner so boring that I'm pinching my leg under the table to stay awake?


I really want to help you out. I'd love to have your skills on my team at the office. But give me a reason to hire you. Please!

Be memorable, but in a good way!

2 comments:

virtual hold said...

I hope you aren't speaking about anyone I know! :)

Jan Crews said...

No, absolutely not! You would have had to seen this to have believe it!